Sunday, September 25, 2011

Halloween 2010

Let me start with I LOVE Halloween. It helps that my husband likes it too. I like Christmas, but what other time can you dress up as whatever you want, have your friends over and eat lots of candy?? Yea, its pretty great. I also like matching costumes. 2008 we were cave men and baby boy was a dinosaur in blue jammies I sewed green spikes and claws onto. I might have to go dig out those pics, he was so cute! (and I hand sewed a lot)
Look at how little he was! He loved to chew on the soft "claws".
you can kind of see the spikes and tail I sewed on.

This year I settled on race cars. My little boy LOVES the movie Cars. He could watch it all day long and sometimes on car trips he does. So, I decided to make him a Lightning McQueen costume out of a cardboard box.
It turned out pretty sweet and He loved it. Still does. And so does baby sister.
Yes, I freehanded all of that, though I did have a lot of models to look at. Painting was a bit hard over the tape keeping it together. Maybe duct tape would have been better, but too late now. I even cut out wheels and screwed them on so they would turn. So cool! Until some little boy decided to rip them off. Arrgh! Don't you know how much time I put into that stinkin' cute costume?!? Okay, you're two, you don't. Also, I got some black and white fabric and sewed it down the arms of a red t-shirt so it looked like a racing outfit. Not an easy task. I ended up only sewing 2/3 of it on because my machine wouldn't reach any more and I did not want to hand sew it. I liked the effect anyway. (and you really can't tell)
Next was the trophy. I came up with this on my own. It looked really good in my head.
I bought a yellow t-shirt at the dollar store and cut it up to look like an upside down dress. I gathered both ends and then on one side I put in a pocket for some boning to keep it open. then I cut open some arm holes and sewed on the trophy "handles". I even put on some snaps to keep the top closed. It turned out okay. It should have been way bigger. Not my best work, but you get the idea.
And yes, there is me, looking badly. I was the "Trophy Wife" in a pink sweat suit, heels, huge fake ring and I used to have on a fluffy blond wig. Baby girl cried because she didn't recognize me, so its gone. I went with Hubby as "Ricky Bobby".
Yup, pinned on those pieces of paper myself. I like the "Wonder" symbol on the piece of bread. Clever, I know. I tried to get him to let me doctor up his overalls more, but He wasn't having it. Oh well. At least he went with the theme.
And to go with our Halloween feast, cake eyeballs. Yes, the idea came from Lacey last year. Hers were way more pretty. Ehh, I had two little kids at the time. I was lucky to get anything done. They tasted good anyway.

1 comment: