Monday, September 12, 2011

Oldies

I thought I should first post what got me back into sewing and creating things. Back when I was a kid I used to sew things with my Grandma Thomas. Little projects, a vest, a dress, but she taught me how to read a pattern and sew it together. Fast forward 15 years and now I want to create things for my kids. More than just what I could buy in a store. Something just for them. Or really, just for me. Anyway, this is how it started again.

Rome's second Christmas we spent at home (as I was 8 months pregnant at the time). I really wanted a pretty skirt for our fake tree. I could not find anything that I liked, so I made one. It turned out exactly how I wanted and I love it! I hope in a couple more years my kids like it too.

Project number 2. I stole this glider from my Mom's house (before I knew she was getting me a brand new one for Christmas...oops) It had a huge hole in the front of the seat cushion. So, I bought some upholstery fabric and made a new cover for it. I left the old stuff underneath as the cushions were really old and dirty and I didn't want to remove them. The top pattern ended up upside down, but I think it still looks pretty good. It is a little scratchy, but much better than it used to be.


Project #3. I went OVERBOARD. Decided that I needed to make turkey placemats for Thanksgiving. Like for someday when we don't have a house to go to and have to make our own meal at home. (yea, that is going to be a while) I spent forever picking out the fabrics and worked on them every night for months(way past Thanksgiving). I got them all done except for the last step and then I hated how the instructions told me to do it. It looked terrible! So, I put it away for over a year. Finally I went back to them and just topstitched them together and they look perfect! All ready for Thanksgiving dinner. (at Grandma's house!)

A little jumper for my Brother's wedding. You can't tell, but it has pockets on the side and knots instead of buttons. Look how cute they are on my little boy!
A matching criss-cross dress for little sister.

A year later and it fits much better! You can almost see the bloomers poking out underneath. It is still so big I am sure she will wear it for years to come.

2 comments:

  1. ha ha...you should call it Justy Jocie in honor of your car...lol. Cute blog...you should let me guest write since I don't craft enough to warrant a whole blog ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure Lace, anytime! Not that I can post much with my computer hating the internet and I will have to figure out how. I was thinking of my car too.

    ReplyDelete