Wednesday, June 13, 2012

T-Shirt Printing



My Big Boy had his first Friend Birthday Party to go to. It was a Transformers Party and I wanted something the Birthday Boy would like. I didn't want to go shopping so thought I would whip out a themed t-shirt. I just bought some fabric paint and thought I would go that way. BUT, I am horrible with paint or stencils. We just don't get along. I could not get the picture I found to go into my cutting software to cut it out pretty either. I don't hand cut out. Sorry.
The picture I started out with
So, then I thought I would try just printing the picture right on the fabric. I have seen that somewhere on Pinterest. Now, I didn't go look it up or anything. I just tried it out.
I got my picture all ready to print.
 I cut fabric to page size, ironed on some interfacing, stuck it in the printer, hit "print" and watched anxiously. I was pleasantly surprised when it came out fine. I printed it in red as that is the Autobot color and this particular 5 yr-old is a Transformer expert.
Originally printed in red
I iron set it and thought I should wash it too just in case the ink didn't stay.
All washed out
Well, it didn't. The red washed right out. It left a little black and some yellowish. Boo.
So, I tried again. I stuck it back in the printer (I iron dried it first) and printed all black. It printed a little off from the first image, but I thought it looked kinda cool. Like vintage. I totally meant to do that...
Re-printed in black
Ironed and sewn on

I ironed and washed it again and it stayed. I then pulled off the backing, ironed it to the t-shirt. I thought it looked pretty good. I sewed around the edge just to keep it in place. I never fully trust interfacing to keep stuff on. That stuff pulls right off. I also stuck it in the washing machine, just to be extra sure.
That's it. Cool, vintage-y Transformers T-shirt.
Close up, you can hardly tell

No comments:

Post a Comment